Why a Rural Family Lawyer?
I was born in Griffith in South-West New South Wales. I grew up in Northern New South Wales, not far from the Queensland border. My wife, also a lawyer, grew up in the Central Burnett area of Queensland. My grandfather, James Victor McCormack was a farmer and graizer in the Old Junee region of South-West New South Wales.
I spent around 14 years in Brisbane either studying or working for a large firm.
Just before my second daughter was born, we decided that it was time to get out of the city for a more family friendly lifestyle. I was lucky enough to find a position with a firm in Toowoomba.
Over the years I have acted for a broad cross-section of people from rural areas.
My family law practice
I have practised exclusively in family law since 2005. In 2013 I became an Accredited Family Law Specialist. I am a Senior Associate at the firm Best Wilson Buckley Family Law. I am based in the Toowoomba Office but I regularly travel to Brisbane for court and client commitments. I also have a growing client base in the Border areas including Northern New South Wales and South West Queensland.
My current practice areas and experience include disputes relating to:
- rural family law and third party/inter-generational interests;
- parenting issues including child protection matters;
- matrimonial and de facto property settlements;
- domestic and family violence matters;
- third party intervention in matrimonial and de facto property settlements; and
- child support matters.
I also have an interest in the intersection of estate and succession planning and family law.
I have a broad range of experience across these areas. I am admitted as a Legal Practitioner in Queensland and New South Wales and the High Court of Australia.
Outside of life in the law, I:
- am an Alumnus of Emmanuel College (University of Queensland) and a former Alumni member of the College Council;
- am a student of Australian and United States politics (having a degree in Political Science);
- am an associate member of both the Warwick Gliding Club and the Gliding Federation of Australia, and I assist with ground operations at the Warwick aerodrome;
- am currently studying to obtain my Aircraft Radiotelephone Operator Certificate of Proficiency from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority; and
- am a member of St David’s North Toowoomba Presbyterian Church and Secretary of the Committee of Management.
To contact me: